Long-distance relationships can be tough, but the good news is that a little creativity and the application of modern technology makes it super easy to stay connected with your loved one, no matter how far away they are. Try one of these 21 activities for long distance relationships to keep the fire burning until you’re reunited!
Read more: 11 must-have apps for long-distance couples
- Share music playlists. Found a new local band that your partner just can’t miss out on? Or maybe you want a sample of the sounds in their new locale? Spend a date night making a playlist of songs that remind you of each other or discover new music together! For bonus points, dedicate songs to each other or create a playlist for a specific occasion or mood.
- Share photos. Roleplay as your own paparazzi and snap photos of your day, your surroundings, or just something funny you saw, then share them with each other. Even when you’re far apart, this lets you stay updated and feel more connected – your “boring day” could be a fabulous lifeline for your distant partner.
- Write a joint blog or diary. Writing your feelings and thoughts has been a way to share your life with a distant loved one since letters became a whole ‘thing’. Nowadays, there’s no need for a stamp or an envelope. Just start up a free blog, share the account details, and write some stories together. When date night comes, both of you can open up the site and start exploring what each other has written. Bonus points if you narrate it as you read.
- Create a virtual scrapbook. Like the blog idea but not much of a wordsmith? That’s okay, you and your partner can spend some time collecting photos, videos and other digital mementos of your time together and create a virtual scrapbook. Keep adding to it as you go, and you’ve got a touching, chilled out and easy long-distance date night ready to go.
- Do a virtual art class. Time to bare your soul through the power of art! Virtually, of course. There are plenty of online art classes that you and your partner can enjoy in all the same ways as a physical art class. Explore your creativity and learn a new skill together.
- Cook a meal together. Food just tastes better when you make it with someone you love. With the power of the internet, you can now plan, cook and enjoy the same meal no matter how far away you are from one another. You could even exchange favorite recipes to get to know each other’s tastes even better.
- Play online board games: Get ready to face off in a virtual game of your favorite board games! There are plenty of options out there to get access to the classics like Settlers of Catan, Monopoly, Risk, Scrabble, and more. It’s a fun way to stay connected and enjoy some healthy competition.
- Have a virtual trivia night: There’s no distance great enough to put out the fires of competition! Put your partner to the test with a virtual trivia night. Take it to the next level by creating your own personal quiz – maybe throw in a few spicy ones, we won’t judge ;).
- Play an online escape room: Escape rooms have exploded in popularity in the last few years, and now they’ve made the leap to the digital world too. Work together to solve puzzles, uncover mysteries, and escape the room before it’s too late.
- Play a virtual card game: How’s your poker face? See who folds under pressure and who can play the hand they’re dealt with a game of long-distance blackjack, Go Fish, or another classic card game. For a particularly memorable long distance date night, set up a video call and suggest a game of strip poker.
- Play a shared multiplayer game. Whether you like swords and sorcery, shoot ‘em ups, puzzles or cozy farming games, there are heaps of video games out there that are practically designed to be enjoyed by long-distance couples. Our favorite pick? Stardew Valley.
- Watch a TV show or movie together: Snuggle up with your favorite snacks and watch a movie or TV show together! It’s simple, fun and super easy to sync up with the apps listed in our guide to must-have apps for long-distance relationships.
- Share a virtual tour: Go traveling without leaving the comfort of your own home. Visit a museum virtually and explore the exhibits together or head to a city neither of you have ever been on Google maps and go exploring.
- Attend a virtual concert or show: Virtual concerts really took off during COVID and there are still plenty of livestreams online that are perfect for long-distance couples who still crave a shared experience.
- Have a virtual picnic: Set up a picnic blanket on the living room floor, set up a webcam, pop some bubbles and enjoy a long-distance picnic together. For bonus points, link up with your phone’s mobile hotspot and head out into nature with your loved one for a true long-distance al fresco experience. Just add “laptop” to your picnic checklist.
- Have a virtual workout session: Fancy showing off your yoga moves? Get active together and participate in a virtual workout or yoga class. Make it a regular thing and you and your partner are guaranteed to be in fantastic shape when you’re finally back in touching distance.
- Have a virtual happy hour: There’s no barrier to a great bar, long distance included. Pour your favorite drinks and enjoy each other’s company in an at-home cocktail experience. Bonus points for making your partner a personalized cocktail menu so they can grab ingredients beforehand. You can gossip, joke around, and catch up on your day while sipping your favorite beverages.
- Listen to podcasts together: If you’ve got an interest, there’s a podcast for that. Share your favorite podcasts with your partner on your next date night, or go and discover a new shared ‘cast together. Don’t have time to get through a whole episode? Finish up in your own times and set up a time to chat about it – two date nights in one.
- Plan your next date night. This is a two-for-one. Planning your next date nights can be just as fun as actually going on them. It’s all about the anticipation! Take an evening and brainstorm ideas for your next virtual date night and, if you and your partner are Cupla users, add them to your To Do list. Good thing you’re already reading something with plenty of ideas to make your own 😉
- Plan a virtual vacation. What’s life without a little fantasy? Dream up your perfect vacation and plan either a real or virtual version of it. Research your ideal destination, find out the cool activities you can do there, and make an itinerary. And don’t limit yourself with just boring old “real” places. Plan a trip to Westeros, Tatooine, Twin Peaks. Get creative!
- Share your bucket list. Even if you think you know everything about your partner, they might have something on their bucket list to surprise you. Spend some time sharing your wildest dreams and aspirations and figure out a way to make them happen together.
Add all these ideas and discover more great date night plans for long-distance relationships through Cupla, the only shared calendar app designed exclusively for couples. Automatically find the best time for your next date no matter what timezone you’re each in, set reminders and notifications to ensure you always find time for one another, and fill up your in-app To Do lists with dates, gift ideas and more.