No matter how long you’ve been in a relationship, grabbing a couple of friends (literally a couple) and heading out on a double date is the perfect way to relax and experience a new kind of quality time with the person you love most.
But while a double date sounds (and is) awesome, it can be tricky figuring out exactly what a “good double date idea” actually looks like. So we’ve done the hard work for you! Below you’ll find 19 of the best double date ideas and activities, perfect for any kind of group, whether you’re foodies, creatives, outdoorsy types or just want something chill and laid back.
So what are you waiting for? Pick out your second favourite power couple (after yourselves, of course) and head out on one of these double dates!
For the foodies
- Cooking classes. Cooking as a double date is super fun, and getting the chance to learn a new recipe at the same time? Double win. There are heaps of options, including online, so don’t be afraid to break out the aprons.
- Food tour. Do your double date partners have a favourite place they want to show off? Or maybe you’ve always wanted to show them around the restaurant where you and your partner had your first date. Food tours are a fabulous way to spend a double date and get to know everyone better.
- Mixology class. What’s better than a cocktail? A cocktail with friends. Mixology classes, online or in-person, have all the hallmarks of an awesome double date: fun drinks, fun people, and a unique experience you’ll remember for years.
- Wine/beer/spirit tour. If your local area has some fabulous breweries, bars, distilleries or vineyards, you should explore them on your double date! If you don’t, don’t despair. You can do your own version at home – head to the local liquor shop, grab some interesting bottles, and head back home for an easy (and frugal!) alternative to a traditional tour.
- Baking day. Time to settle who really makes the best cookies. Or brioche. Or pizza dough! Baking together is always a great time on a double date. My advice is to avoid anything too complicated, or that takes too long to make – looking at you, croissants.
For the creatives
- Drink & draw. Ever been to a drink & draw before? It’s a bohemian’s dream. Settle in with paintbrush in one hand, preferred drink of choice in the other, and getting creative to a theme. It’s a fabulous option for a double date too, and always interesting to see how the other members of your party interpret the material differently.
- Ceramics class. Most people aren’t lucky enough to have a pottery studio at home, so a ceramics class gives you, your partner and the other couple on your double date the chance to craft your very own tableware. Just don’t be tempted to recreate that one scene from Ghost…
- Scavenger hunt. This requires some prep but it’s so fun! If you and the people you’re going on the double date with have some history, you can put together a special scavenger hunt to relive the glory days. Not sure where to start? Try adapting one of our date night challenge ideas for a larger group. The same principles all apply.
- Art gallery or museum tour. One of the best things about double dates is that you have twice as many different takes – and for something like art or history, that can create some fascinating conversation. You can even do these tours virtually!
For the explorers
- Hiking. Blue sky above and green forest ahead – the only way to make hiking better is to do it with the people you like best! Hikes are an awesome choice for a double date, but just make sure that everybody is happy with the level of difficulty. Blisters are kind of a mood killer.
- Ice or roller skating. Whether you’re a master of skate-bound pirouettes or prefer to slide your way with one hand firmly on the guard rail, ice and roller skating make for awesome double dates. It gets the blood pumping, can create some very funny moments and, perhaps importantly, gives the two pairs of couples the opportunity to break away and enjoy some quality time together for a while.
- Camping. If the idea of getting away from the city and replacing car horns with bird song appeals, then camping could be a fabulous double date idea. Admittedly, it’s more of a couple of double date “days” rather than nights, but that’s just all the more time to enjoy yourselves.
- Comedy club. Not all exploration has to be outdoors! Head to a comedy club for your double date (or an open mic night for the especially brave) and laugh it up all night long.
For the thrillseekers
- Laser tag. Not just for kids! Laser tag is all the fun of paintball with none of the pain or mess. On a double date, you can pair off with your partner to fight it out or try teaming up with one of your double dates and see who the true dream team is!
- Escape room. Escape rooms have exploded in popularity among friends, families, couples – and double dates. It’s brilliant for working together to reach a common goal and, if you’re up for it, there can be some seriously scary escape rooms too. It’s a horror movie and an escape room in one!
- Amusement park. Roller coasters, cotton candy, log flumes – man, amusement parks were super fun as a kid, huh? Well, one of the best ways to recapture that feeling is to head to an amusement park on a double date for a brand new experience.
- Concert/karaoke. Bonding over a shared love of music is an easy way to make lifelong friends, and heading to a concert on a double date is taking that to the next level. No concerts you fancy in your area? Head to a karaoke bar instead and host your own sing-off!
- Rock climbing. Hope you’re not scared of heights! Rock climbing is fun, simple, and a great workout all in one. On a double date, you get a built-in belay partner and the opportunity to race each other to the top. What’s not to love?
- Go-kart racing. 3, 2, 1 – go! Go-kart racing is a time-honoured group activity and it makes for a great double date too. Time to find out who the real speed racer in your party is.
Finding the best time for a regular date is tough. Doing a double date makes it twice as tough! That’s just maths. Cupla might be designed for couples, but its synced calendar and event management can be used for double dates too. Simply set up a date as usual and then invite the other couple to it, right in the app. Simple as that!
And the best part is, the other couple doesn’t even need to buy the app. They (and you) can trial it now for free on iOS or Android.