The key to travelling with a baby? Organisation! Keep your little ones happy and happy with this complete baby travel checklist – containing everything you need to bring with you on your vacation.
Keep these to hand at all times! If you’re travelling by air, make these your carry-on. If it’s a trip by road or water, you’ll have more space and access to your luggage, but it’s still a good idea to have these at hand – you’ll use them a lot or need them now when you need them.
- 1 x diaper bag
- 8 x diapers (for longer trips, plan to buy more at your destination)
- 1 x changing pad
- 1 x Pack of wipes
- 1 x container of hand sanitizer
- 1 x box of resealable bags in different sizes to store snacks and soiled baby clothes
- 1 x change of clothes
- 1 x jacket/warm layer
- 1 x light blanket
- 2 x pacifier or teething toy
- 1 x small cooler bag for breast milk or formula
- 1 x container of formula and/or breast milk
- 2 x bib and burp cloth
- 2 x bottles
- 1 x water bottle
- 3 x small baby toys and books
- 1 x bottle of baby-appropriate sunscreen
- 1 x nursing cover
- 1 x tall insulated mug (fill with boiling water for on-the-go bottle warming)
- 1 x set of baby food for full travel time (if on solids)
- 1 x pack of bottle wipes
- 1 x mosquito repellent
- 1 x pack of sanitising wipes
- 1 x bottle of hand sanitiser
- 1 x birth certificate or passport
Bonus tip: Make a baby first aid kit with the following:
- 1 x container of diaper cream
- 1 x package of infant pain reliever,
- 3 x bandages,
- 1 x small thermometer,
- 1 x nail clipper,
- 1 x small container of skin cream
- 1 x printed and waterproof sheet with contact details for paediatrician, allergies and any other medical needs.
- All baby’s medications
This list of clothing is a good starting point for building baby’s wardrobe for their overseas adventure. Double check that the clothes you’re bringing are appropriate for the local weather – leggings bought in a warm state or country may not keep baby comfortable in a colder climate.
- 3 x pairs of pants
- 3 x pairs of leggings
- 3 x shirts
- 3 x onesies
- 3 x dresses or rompers (warm destination)
- 3 x pairs of socks
- 1 x pair of booties or shoes
- 1 x hat (sun hat for spring and summer, beanie for fall and winter)
- 1 x swimsuit or box of swim diapers (if relevant)
- 2 x pair of pajamas
Bonus tip: A good rule of thumb is to pack two outfits for each day you’ll be away, plus two extra ones. If it’s a long trip, it may be better to plan for laundry instead.
Hygiene & Health
- 1 x bottle brush
- 1 x bottle of baby wash
- 1 x baby body lotion
- 1 x infant nail clippers or a nail file (if you’ll be away more than a week)
- 1 x antibiotic ointment
- 1 x brush or comb
- 1 x travel tub
- 1 x set of clothes pins and laundry line
- 4 x outlet covers for babyproofing.
Bonus tip: Try to keep any established morning or evening routines. If baby has a bath before bed at home with a particular set of toys or with a particular baby wash, try to bring those too. A little familiarity at the end of the day will help them enjoy the trip as much as you!
- 1 x car seat (even if you’re not traveling by car!)
- 1 x lightweight stroller or baby carrier
- 1 x portable feeding seat (if your baby is sitting up and eating solids)
- 1 x baby carrier
- 1 x travel bottle of dish soap
- 1 x foldable play mat
Bonus tip: Some parents keep a special travel-only combined baby car seat/capsule so they don’t have to bring multiple bulky items. If you’re getting a rental car, double check that any car seat you’re bringing will fit safely.
- 2 x spare bottles
- 3 x days worth of baby food (for longer trips, ensure there’s somewhere to buy more)
- 1 x set of infant utensils
- 1 x sippy cup
- 1 x travel drying rack (for bottles)
- 1 x breast pump & charger/batteries
- 1 x cooler bag and ice packs
- 1 x formula dispenser
- 1 x travel high chair or cloth seat harness
- 1 x bottle warmer
- 1 x box of snacks
Bonus tip: It may be a good idea to bring along some extra familiar food from home if your baby is a picky eater. Canned and sealed food is ideal so you don’t need to worry about it going off too quickly.
- 1 x baby monitor & charger/batteries
- 1 x travel crib
- 2 x swaddle blankets
- 1 x crib sheet
- 1 x white noise machine
- 1 x favourite teddy and/or blanket
Bonus tip: Many babies sleep poorly when they travel – the unfamiliar is scary to them rather than exciting. Try bringing an unwashed blanket that they sleep in. The familiar smell and texture is comforting and can help with sleep.
Phew – that’s a lot of gear for such a little person! Travelling with a baby is always a challenge, but incredibly rewarding when you see their faces brighten with curiosity at all the new experiences. Looking for a way to keep track of everything you’ll need? Try adding these items to Cupla’s To-Do list, a brand new feature that helps you get everything into place before you head away with baby. Trial Cupla now for free on iOS or Android.